MovieForum.cc

Go Back   MovieForum.cc > Member Center > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything you want to chat

View Poll Results: What is your favorite "Classic" movie era?
1920's 0 0%
1930's 0 0%
1940's 5 83.33%
1950's 0 0%
1960's 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 AM

heluvagr8flik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Classics" Section Needed

There needs to be a section on this site for "Classics". Movies from the 30's, 40's, 50's, & 60's. Movies like they show on TCM. I would totally watch and even pay MG's to see flicks like:

Raintree County '57
Gone With The Wind '39
Sunset Boulevard '50
Stage Door '37
East of Eden '55
The Devil & Daniel Webster '41
The Rain's Came '39
The Enchanted Cottage '45
The Best Man '64
Mildred Pierce '45
Jezebel '38
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? 62
The Bad Seed '56
Mrs. Miniver '42
The Postman Always Rings Twice '47
Peyton Place '57
Mr. & Mrs. Smith '41

......I could go on and on.

Just giving my opinion....surely I'm not the only classics lover. The real MG in my humble opinion.

Kate Winslet
Old 02-17-2009, 03:16 AM

m0viem0nster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is diifcult to choose one era for classics. The time they were made doesn't necessarily put them in classic status. Take for instance The Shawshank Redemption.

Some movies will just stand the test of time regardless of when they are made and you can also have some diabolical movies from any period.

The thing with classic movies is that if you love them that much you will probably own them anyway.

I suppose there are people out there who may not watch "old movies", so for their sake maybe some from the IMDB list of best movies of all time could go here. Looking at lists like that often prompts people to check out a film that they know nothing about or have never seen.

Interesting subject though, what makes a classic?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderators

waterlilybarb will become famous soon enoughwaterlilybarb will become famous soon enoughwaterlilybarb will become famous soon enough

That's a hard pick. I chose the '40's, but I also have a lot of favourites form the late '30's...like the original 1939 version of "The Women".

You gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderators

trulee will become famous soon enoughtrulee will become famous soon enoughtrulee will become famous soon enough

I would vote for the 40's, I love the old black and white movies of that era as well as the glorious technicolour musicals too., but like it has previously been said - what makes a classic? For that reason I'm not sure a section of its own would work.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderators

gypsiegirl66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I picked 40's also, for the same reason as Trulee. However, I love movies form all the choices.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

redsoxpatriot30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I chose the 40's, but I don't really know many classic movies. I'd be interested to see old Oscar winners...that'd be fun.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM

heluvagr8flik is an unknown quantity at this point

....there are so many great movies of yesteryear. By "CLASSICS" I mean "OLDIES". Shawshank Redemption is definitely a classic but in no way an oldie. So I guess I should rename this thread "Oldies Section Needed".

There are "OLDIES" that are such a cinematic experience you just do not see today. It's these movies that inspired so many of today's fine actors and directors. There is no place to really see these movies except TCM or by renting/buying them. There are a lot of us who would appreciate these screen gems. I know I would.

....but then again most things are driven by supply and demand...oh and money. You find me a young girl or woman of any age that would not get lost in the beauty of "Breakfast At Tiffany's" and Audrey Hepburn's stellar performance. Or the electricity between Spencer Tracy & Kate Hepburn in "Woman of the Year", "Adam's Rib", and "Pat and Mike".

...just a suggestion. I'm off to watch My Fair Lady (1964) on TCM.

Kate Winslet
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Monicawang is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0viem0nster View Post
I think it is diifcult to choose one era for classics. The time they were made doesn't necessarily put them in classic status. Take for instance The Shawshank Redemption.

Some movies will just stand the test of time regardless of when they are made and you can also have some diabolical movies from any period.

The thing with classic movies is that if you love them that much you will probably own them anyway.

I suppose there are people out there who may not watch "old movies", so for their sake maybe some from the IMDB list of best movies of all time could go here. Looking at lists like that often prompts people to check out a film that they know nothing about or have never seen.

Interesting subject though, what makes a classic?
I also think Shawshank Redemption is a classic movie. Usually we can't not tell the era of the classic movies but remember their names.